An introduction to fascinating subjects,
people, and places.
You too may become a dilettante. It is not boring.



From Jacksonville Beach, FL

Thursday, June 16, 2011

We're off on a Greek Odyssey

                                
                                        Bags are almost packed to fly to the Aegean.


     Today, we bought tiny shampoos, sun screen and other toiletries in flight acceptable sizes.  Yesterday, I found a hat with SPF sun protection.  After much anticipation and preparation, Dan and I fly to Athens, Greece on Monday.  Unlike all of the other traveling we have done, we'll be on a tour.  We bought into the school tour that my daughter is hosting for some of her girls' school students.  I hope my husband can tolerate lots of giggling.  My daughter and I  are used to it since she currently teaches and I'm a former teacher.
     After the tour with the girls, Dan and I will travel alone to Mykonos for a few days of island life.  I have wanted to travel in Greece since I was a high school student and saw all the photos of Greek architecture and statues in my Latin book.
     I hope to write blog entries while I am there.  That will depend on internet access and time.  I have had international access programmed to my iphone.  So a few words and photos from the iphone may be possible.  With luck, I can find an internet cafe, but I don't know how much free time a tour permits.
     After three days in Athens, our tour will take us to  Delphi.  I'm already posing a mental question to
convey telepathically to the spirit of the Oracle.  We also visit Olympia, Argolida, Epidaurus, Mycenae, and then back to Athens.  Every stop is filled with Grecian wonders.  We will experience a Greek Night the last evening in Athens which will include demonstrations of Greek dancing and dining on good food.
       I can already tell the two weeks we will be there won't be nearly enough.  Nothing brings all my senses and alertness into play as travel does.  True, a tour is dilettantish, a look here, a look there, nothing in much depth, but I'll take it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment