An introduction to fascinating subjects,
people, and places.
You too may become a dilettante. It is not boring.



From Jacksonville Beach, FL

Friday, February 18, 2011

Confessions of an ex-English teacher

The junky bookcase in the computer room

My dear husband Dan posing before New Year's Eve dinner

      One passion I have had since grade school is books.  My sister used to call me "Books" because I always had one, was looking at one in stores or reading one.  Through the years, I have kept quite a collection of ones I've read or wanted to read.  I've given many of them to library book sales and to friends, but I still have two walls of  filled book shelves in my house.
      Halloween, when kids were coming around for trick or treat, one little boy looked through the open
front door at one book shelf and asked, "Is this the library?"  I like to read books and almost always have one going, and I like to look at them and hold them.  Some day, I might buy a Kindle, but I'm not ready yet. It might be too hard to stick in my pocket, the car glove compartment, or on the hammock.
     I have a small collection of first editions that I keep in a closed, fairly dust-free cabinet.  Most of them are modern books, but I have one or two that in 100 years may be worth something. My favorite was given to me by my mother-in-law, "Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats" by T. S. Eliot.  It was the inspiration for the Broadway play "Cats."
     In this blog, I will occasionally write about a book or an author.  I'll never get over being an ex-English teacher.
                                      A Book of verses underneath the bough,
                                      A jug of wine, a loaf of bread and thou
                                      Beside me singing in the wilderness
                                      Oh, wilderness were Paradise enow!
                                
                                  (E. Fitzgerald, Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam)

For the latest on good books see the blog, BookSlut.

No comments:

Post a Comment